Sales may seem daunting at first, but with a little orientation, you will get through it.
There are 4 parts to a sale:
- The Square Device (our record for all sales)
- The Paper Receipt (for Bookkeeper)
- The Labeling of Sold Items.
- Contacting the artist with the information of their sale.
- If the artwork is not by a featured artist, that buyer can take the work on the spot. The artist then has the option to bring in another work of art to replace it. If they don't have any, the Gallery Director can decide how to fill that spot.
- If the artwork is by a featured artist, they can choose to keep all of the artwork up through the length of the show. If the buyer is from out of town, the artist has the option to either ship it to the buyer after the show or allow them to take it early. Not all featured artists are concerned with keeping the whole show up until the end. Check in the Current Show Binder for up to date information.
Startup Square: If just plugging in the Square device, the button to turn it on is along the lower edge of the screen. If the device is on, just touch the screen to wake it up. You'll have a chance to try this during your walkthrough if needed.
- email: email@example.com (not case sensitive)
- password: 1350Gallery (capitalize the G of Gallery)
- Then "Go" through the prompts to the "Checkout" / "All Items" page
If the screen is not allowing you to Sign On, Sign Out and start again. Usually it's a simple mistake in typing the information.
- Select the small white arrow at the center-top of the screen. Go to "Settings" / "Account" / "Sign Out"
New Sale: after the sale transaction is complete select "New Sale" to return to the All Items page.
Void a Transaction: Please refer to the Big Gallery Binder for voiding a transaction.
MAKING A SALE
You should be at the Checkout / All Items page on Square
- Select Artist's name and the item they are selling. Some artists sell in more than one category of items (i.e. ceramics, painting). You can search by artist's name to help narrow the options.
- Type in the amount of the item (tax and total is automatic). Be sure to make note of tax and total for the paper receipt. If there are additional items, simply repeat 1 and 2.
- When ready to accept payment:
- Cash: go to Charge and add cash amount
- Credit Card: go to Manual Credit Card / Charge. The patron will face the back of the computer, which has instructions for them to complete (i.e. insert card, sign, send receipt to...)
- Check: More / Check. Write the name and check number then Record. All checks are to be made out to Allied Arts.
- Please place cash and checks with the white receipt in the cash box under the money tray (not in the blue bag) and include the information on your daily sheet.
- Have the Patron fill out their name and phone at the top of the paper receipt.
- Write the artist's name and the item sold, the amount of the item, tax and total in the middle of the receipt. Square will give you the tax information.
- Include your name at the bottom and the date at the top.
- Pull out the three sales slips by sliding forward the pages (while pushing down on the metal button at the top left with a pen, or fingertip)
- White: Goes in the cash box under the money tray, but not in the blue bag.
- Yellow: Goes to the patron as their receipt
- Pink: Tape to the back of the item if the patron is not taking the piece right away. If they take the piece, put the pink slip in the pink folder in the Current show binder.
- If more than one item is sold to a patron, make copies of the receipt to attach to the back of the artwork.
- Write the patron's name in the Current Show Notebook next to the item purchased.
- If the item is remaining in the gallery, use one of the red dot stickers. Write the patron's initials on the sold sticker and place it on the art label next to the artwork. Place the pink sales receipt on the back of the work with blue tape (found in the lower part of the far right art cabinet). If more than one item is sold, make copies of the receipt to attach to each item.
Contacting the artist about Sale - Phone list in the Current Show binder
- Call the artist to let them know of the sale. If the artwork was a member artist and the patron took the piece, that artist can bring in another work of art to replace it. If the artwork is a featured artist and they want the exhibit to remain intact for the whole show, they just might like the good news. If the patron is from out of town and has to take the piece, the artist needs to be informed prior to this happening.
Text the Technology Coordinator about the Sale
- Text Janet at 312-259-9698 and inform her that there has been a sale in the Gallery. She will update the status of the Virtual Gallery to indicate that the artwork has been sold.
Payment for new or returning MEMBERSHIP
People who come into the Gallery when it's open often ask about becoming a member or renewing their membership. Docents can take care of these transactions as well.
- Have the individual fill out the Membership form located in the display unit next to the kitchen door. Our information brochure is also located there if anyone would like to know more about CCA and becoming a member.
- Log out of the Gallery account on the Square device.
- Log into the Admin account on the Square device. The Admin login ID and password are located in the "Big Gallery Binder."
- Select the appropriate type of membership in Square. The person might want to make a donation as well. You can add that into the transaction as a general donation. The form will identify where to put the money.
- The completed form goes into our bookkeepers folder in the kitchen. If they pay by credit card, there's nothing else you need to do. Check or cash payment gets attached to the membership form for the bookkeeper.
- Log out of the Admin account and log back into the Gallery account on Square.
So, this is our sales system. It is easily managed with a little practice and hopefully this orientation will help. Please take in what you can, and arrive to your Docent orientation to learn more. Many of us were overwhelmed at first, but now feel quite comfortable about the process. Just use the Big Gallery Binder as your Gallery Docent Bible!